How to Self-care






What is self-care? When we think of self-care, we usually think of a vacation, going to the spa, shopping, or spending time alone. This can be true, but how do you care for yourself when you constantly put everything and everyone in front of you? Whether it is your spouse, family, children, friends, work, etc. Some people consider self-care selfish, but no one will care for you if you don’t care for yourself.

There was a time when I cared for everyone, expecting myself. Don’t get me wrong, I still care for others, but I ensure self-care first. When I was people-pleasing, I set no boundaries; I wanted to please everyone except myself. Whether someone asked me to do something, I did it. Whether I was exhausted, I got the task done.

One day, I realized I was running on empty, and no one cared. I remember writing a post about not being the energizer bunny, and I didn’t understand then that I was speaking to my inner spirit. People-pleasing can be very dangerous to your mental, physical, and emotional health. If you are that person who likes to always be in, thinking that you are pleasing others, I encourage you to stop it.

Recognize that you cannot be everything and anything for others if you have been there for yourself. Even God rest. Rest means that you make time for yourself and God. Despite being married, a single mother, pastor, doctor, etc. Understand that as long you are willing to please everyone, you will neglect YOU.

Some steps to self-care:

1.      Learn to say NO (you don’t need to participate in everything)

2.      Learn to spend quality time by yourself

3.      Learn to spend time with God through prayer, reading the word, fasting (if you are a Christian)

4.      Crave out 10 to 20 minutes a day to relax your mind by doing something fun or nothing at all

5.      Have grace with yourself ( don’t get frustrated if you didn’t do something right)

6.      Exercise

7.      Watch a movie or show

8.      Learn to LOVE you in all time and season

Self-care can be simple. It doesn’t require you to travel, but it requires you to set time just for yourself. Self-care helps you mentally, physically, and emotionally to become a healthier version of yourself. Self-care enables you to reenergize your body, mind, and soul to give others the best version of yourself while eliminating the symptoms of pleasing people. Remember my favorite phrase, “You cannot give someone what you don’t have, and they cannot give you what they don’t have.” I want to encourage you to work on yourself, love yourself, care for yourself, embrace yourself, and do something for yourself.

 

Stay bless!

 

 

Comments

  1. Self care is a task that has always been last on my list. I never took the time to take care of myself, doing something that was enjoyable for me. I am now learning the importance of taking carw of me.! I hope i can implement some of the things you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ragging Wind

Heart

Stand

Divine

Sabotage

Bold